Are you into summer fun or are you overwhelmed by it because of a job search? We are surrounded by messages of summer fun – on television, billboards, radio, and social media. We have many friends who are going and coming back from summer vacations and sharing their plans or stories. Yet, all of excitement can make a job seeker depressed if there is no job in sight. And to top it off, there can be guilt about not taking a family vacation like others are doing.
With summer here, many people are nervous because hiring tends to slow down during this period and worries just multiply. Many job seekers have been out of work for a long time. And often, employers tend to slow down their hiring in the summer so that does not help matters.
So what can you do about a job search in the summer? And how do you grab hold of a little fun while you’re at it? Well, the summer can actually be the perfect time to take a step back and recharge. Planning some new activities and fun over the summer can make you feel better about yourself. You will feel fresher and attack job search activities with new energy that will come across to others in a powerful way.
Here are a few ideas to consider:
- Take a course to increase your knowledge or skills
- Learn something new – just for fun
- Read industry magazines to keep up in your field
- Read books that are in the “Top Ten”
- Get involved in more fitness activities
- Spend time concentrated on your family
- Attack something that you’ve been wanting to clean up at home
- Think of some ideas to add to this list!
- Keep up your networking activities
- Stay on top of LinkedIn and Job Boards
Remember that while hiring does slow down, jobs still happen and there is less competition because many others are away. So continue to watch and apply to job postings on top websites and LinkedIn. You never know! So go have some fun!